This summer, we are inviting all the members of Southshore to read one or two books as a way to reignite our passion for the gospel and help us to strive to seek first the kingdom of God.
Summer Read Sermons
We also encourage you to take time to listen to these corresponding sermons.
- Sermon 1: The Invincible Power of Joy for World Missions: For Cowards, Consumers, and the Comfortable (John Piper)
- Sermon 2: What the Gospel Demands, Luke 14:33 (David Platt)
- Sermon 3: The Gospel Demands Radical Sacrifice, Luke 14:25-35 (David Platt)
- Sermon 4: The Gospel Demands Radical Compassion, Matthew 10:1-42 (David Platt)
- Sermon 5: The Gospel Demands Radical Giving, Luke 16:19-31 (David Platt)
- Sermon 6: The Cross and the Christian's Sport, 1 Corinthians 10:31 (David Platt)
- Sermon 7: The Cross and the Christian's Work, 1 Corinthians 10:31 (David Platt)
If you read only one book this summer, we hope it will be Radical, by David Platt.
We have selected this book because it identifies a real blindspot for Christians who are caught up in the [North] American Dream.
What seems radical to us at first, turns out to be the biblical basics of Jesus Christ's call to discipleship.
Don't Waste Your Life
If you are a reader, we invite you to read a second book: Don't Waste Your Life, by John Piper.
We have selected this book, written on the same theme as Radical, to fortify the same ideas put forward by David Platt in the first book.
We are confident that a careful, prayerful, read of these two books will change your understanding and practice of the Christian faith.
Read with Us!
In short, we hope to motivate one another to consider our lives, refocus our commitment to Christ and His kingdom, and make serious, sustainable, structural changes to our lives so that we do not waste them.
We will gather mid-summer to discuss Radical together. We hope you will join us!